If you are like most of us, you have made a resolution or two for the New Year. We have one to add to your list: Take good care of your feet!
Those two hard-working feet will take you a long way through your lifetime and need attention to keep them in tip-top shape.
- Check your feet every day. Look for any damage such as cuts, punctures, cracked skin or fungal infections. Don’t forget between the toes and your soles!
- Wash your feet daily with warm, soapy water and a soft sponge or washcloth. Be sure to dry carefully, especially between the toes.
- After washing, moisturize your feet with a rich, emollient lotion or cream. This will keep your skin smooth and prevent cracking that can let in damaging bacteria.
- Empty out your shoe closet and donate shoes and boots that are too tight, too narrow or worn out. Use a few of those holiday gift cards to upgrade your shoe wardrobe. Shop late in the day when feet are largest and select shoes with a flatter heel and plenty of toe wiggle room.
- Keep your feet well-protected. Avoid going barefoot and limit wearing flimsy flip-flops to pools and the beach. Opt instead for sturdy sandals, and don’t forget to apply sunscreen. Wear moisture-wicking socks in cooler or wet weather.
- Treat yourself to a professional pedicure. Check the equipment for cleanliness and make sure that all implements have been sterilized and are taken from new packaging.
- Add some simple feet, toe and ankle stretching exercises to your daily routine to maintain flexibility.
Taking good care of your feet is essential to leading a healthy, active life. We wish you – and your feet – a happy and healthy 2021!